Mission of the St. Peter Music Department
As Lutheran Christians and musicians, we seek to do the following things:
* to praise our God to the best of our ability
* to enhance the congregation’s understanding of the message of the week, to enrich their worship experience, and to help them learn more about their God and draw closer to Him and thus increase their joy in Him
* to support the minister in His mission
* to build each other up as a team/family and to encourage creativity in each other
* to develop young talent and provide them a safe place in which to share their talents with the church family and with their God
To accomplish these things, we select hymns and praise songs that are scripturally sound and faithful to our Missouri Synod Lutheran beliefs. Music is selected based on the readings for the day, whether lectionary or a series selected by the minister, as well as the sermon focus.
Liturgy and traditional hymns are primarily found in the Lutheran Service Book. Occasionally, we will use hymns from All God’s People Sing or Hymns You Like to Sing. Praise songs come from a variety of places, but we only use those approved by CCLI, our church’s copyright company or original pieces written by our members. The Praise Team leads services every Sunday and consists of vocals, guitar, keyboard, and the occasional bass and drums.
Before COVID, every fifth Sunday was a Youth Service with our young people leading. We hope to get back to that when it is safe to do so! We will be sure to keep you posted as such things continue to change.